Re: african daisy

In a message dated 05/29/2004 10:16:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
justme@prairieinet.net writes:

> At some show I attended, they gave out packages of "African Daisy"
> seeds... Anyone got a clue what they are? (No Kitty, that is the only
> name on the package other than the sponsor giving them out) Should I
> attempt to sow these outside as directed, worth the time, trouble, and
> garden space? Anyone?

It could be Arctotis grandis, a  very favorite of mine thatI have not been
able to find seeds of for some time.  Or it could be another of the Arctotis
species - or something else entirely.
If it is Arctotis grandis, it has a lovely white daisy flower with  a blue
eye, and greyish felted foliage - a lovely annual plant.  It is a little late to
start it, as it comes slowly from seed and may not bloom until late summer.
The other  Arctotis species are colored and, in my opinion, not as attractive
as the A.grandis.  I have grown this for years, but have not always been able
to find seeds.  Some years ago I was organized enough to save seeds, but in
recent years haven't saved my own or been able to find it in catalogs.  Some
catalog showed it this spring  - "Seeds of Change"? and I ordered the seeds and
started them indoors early.  So far only two plants have come from those seeds
and those only have the two seed-leaves, so I am not optimistic.
  If it really is the Arctotis grandis, it's a lovely plant, but I would
start them indoors, and it's really late this year for any success.