Re: /schools

Just returned from FL where my brother is a public school teacher. A "special education" teacher. His students include (not in the same class period) the "educatable", through those who need diapering, cannot communicate verbally, and act out violently. The latter could never even function in a protected setting (group home) - the teachers call them "the living dead", with some degree of black humor, but it seems that FL requires everyone to be mainstreamed, and until age 22. The latter children have no hope of functioning even in a sheltered environment, and their parents use the system as a baby sitter, sending them to school even when they are ill. Schools are of great value to children who are mentally challenged, if they provide an opportunity for them to learn basics and socialization skills, but some children will never be able to function in society outside of an environment that can give them every aspect of care.
On Tuesday, May 18, 2004, at 09:48 PM, Kitty wrote:

I've said this all my adult life: Private schools are the bane of this
Too broad a statement, David.
Speaking from my experience of 12 years of parochial school, which is
private school, but not quite the private school that Bill Gate's kids would
I was able to receive a good education with, I believe, less of the
interuptions you mentioned in another post. Baby-sitting didn't happen in
my classes. Can't behave ? Out you go. My parents paid tuition for 3 of
us and we weren't well off by any standards. All the parents that pay
tuition for parochial schools get no tax break from the govt, and yet they
do not make use of funds that the govt has assigned for public schools. For
12 yrs x 3, my folks paid taxes which went to public schools AND they paid
tuition. This allows the public schools extra funds. It's not our fault
they didn't use it wisely. If I had had kids, they too would have attended
parochial school.

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Franzman" <dfranzma@pacbell.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 7:11 PM
Subject: Re: Re: [CHAT] /schools

Melody (I'm sorry folks I realize this is a garden group and not a soapbox
for political agendas) I think the problem is in the reality. The reality
is that there are far too many students in California who don't care and
whose parents don't care whether they get an education or not. Fact is
there is only so much money and resources and the way we casually spend
money in this country insures a bleak future for education.

I've said this all my adult life: Private schools are the bane of this
country. They guarantee unequal education. Send Bill Gate's and Warren
Buffet's kids to public schools and we wouldn't be having this discussion
right now. But as long as we don't we lose untold thousands of bright
who don't have the resources to a good education and hence fall through

David Franzman
A Touch of the Tropics