Re: orchid help/Noreen

Thanks Noreen,your a doll!!!!!!!!!
In a message dated 4/28/2005 11:50:50 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
TeichFlora@aol.com writes:

Hi, I  grow a lot of my orchids and epiphytes on bark.  I'm assuming it  is
cork bark?  Roots covering the bark is fine, and exactly what it  is  meant
do, as in nature.  Epiphytes gain their moisture  and  nutrients from the air
the entire plant, using their roots  more to  anchor the plant than anything
else.  If the orchid  plant itself...not just  the roots have covered the
bark, you  can take off divisions, and mount on  a new piece of bark, or put
an orchid basket with orchid bark mix.   However, it will not  hurt the plant
if you leave it alone.  In fact  I would suggest  this.

If it were a Staghorn fern, larger growing bromeliad or  such, then I  would
suggest mounting the old bark onto a newer larger  bark, but in the case of
orchid, this is not necessary.   Most epiphytes can be left alone, with  pups
or divisions taken  off.

Make sure that you have plenty of air circulation, humidity  and bright
light, but not direct sun....and it will be very  happy.  These are my
types of plants to grow, least  amount of maintenance, and using least
amount of

zone 9
Texas Gulf  Coast