From: Cathy Carpenter [mailto: cathy.c@insightbb.com]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 15:26:09 -0500
Subject: Re: [CHAT] ok- now doves/predators.

We have plenty of coyotes here (and I am south of you, Quincy, IL) -
of <br>IL) that because mountain lions may be overpopulated in the west,
young <br>males may be seeking new territories, and since adult mountain
lions <br>are capable of traveling 50 to 100 miles per day, it would
take a <br>matter of weeks for a Colorado cougar to get to us. One was
found dead <br>in Mercer Co. in December 2004. Mercer is just south of
Rock Island Co. <br>on the Mississippi. If there is an overpopulation of
AM, Melody wrote:<br><br>> Yeah, so far the cougars haven't been a
problem for humans here, but <br>> all<br>> of the sightings have been
in large urban areas well populated with<br>> people. It is a federal
crime to kill a cougar in Iowa as it is a<br>> protected species here,
but sooner or later, if their population<br>> continues to expand (and
there's no reason to believe it won't) some<br>> jackass will take it
into their head to go looking for trouble, because<br>> as we all
know...some people are just plain stupid. So far, also, no<br>> reports
of any problems with cougars preying on livestock, which in an<br>>
agricultural state like Iowa, where hogs and cattle are big
business,<br>> will not be tolerated at all if it starts. Still, I
imagine a species<br>> like coyote once started in an area would
probably progagate pretty<br>> quickly, huh? I guess I wouldn't say
there are no coyotes in <br>> Iowa...just<br>> never seen or heard one
wherever I''ve lived, so I suspect there is a<br>> long trapping season
for these animals like there is for so many other<br>> predator species
text UNSUBSCRIBE GARDENCHA

T<br><br>