Re: California trip/now rose cuttings

This may not really be relevant, but for what it's worth...
My father had a large rose garden mostly grown from
cuttings.  If he saw a beautiful rose in someone's garden
he would knock on the door and ask for a cutting.  This was
in southern Alabama in the 1950s.  The method he used
with great success was this - long before the day of
rooting hormones.
He would allow the cutting to callous for a few hours.  Then
he would insert it into the sandy earth next to the north side
of the house in the area under the eaves.  He would turn a
quart-size mason jar over it, making its own little greenhouse.
In a matter of six weeks or so he would have a rooted
cutting.  He always wanted to have a rose nursery to grow
flowers for the florist trade, but never achieved that ambition.
Auralie

In a message dated 05/04/2005 8:06:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,