NYers beware: tent caterpillars

Yikes!  I found 4 infestations of tent caterpillars in my small  yard.  Is
there an epidemic this year or something???  I caught two of  them just as the
caterpillars were starting to leave the tent, and the only  thing I had on hand
in the way of pesticide was wasp spray.  It seemed to  stop them in their
tracks.  I hope I nipped it in the bud.
Long  Island, NY
Zone 6/7