From: Chapel Ridge Wal Mart National Hearing Center [mailto: 4042N15@nationalhearing.com]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 10:29:35 -0600
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Spring pictures

Melody,<br>We can count for ed hours, any sort of learning expience that
is given by<br>another person. If we go to a public garden and take a
guided tour, we can<br>count that - but not if we tour the garden on our
own. If we attend a<br>presentation such as the one you gave to the
kids, we can count that.<br>An idea - are there other MGs out your way
that are having the same problem?<br>If there are 4 or 5 of you, maybe
each of you could research a topic and<br>present it to the rest. You
could also extend an invitation to other MGs<br>distant from you. If you
each gave an hour presentation - on a genus,<br>building and planting a
trough, a slide presentation of new plants for 2005<br>(I could send you
the CD), a demonstration on propagation techniques, you<br>could set the
time for your convenience and have your hours easily.<br>Seriously,
these should count; you would be learning
"Melody " <mhobertm@excite.com><br>To: <gardenchat@hort.net><br>Sent:
Tuesday, May 03, 2005 10:53 PM<br>Subject: Re: [CHAT] Spring
volunteer hours. For these 2<br>> 30 minute presentations I've probably
put in about 4 hours of prep.<br>> time, so altogether I'll report for 5
hours. I had to make a visual aid<br>> for the kids from scratch, which
took some time, plus running around<br>> getting one of the nurseries to
donate the seeds, printing stuff, etc.<br>> No...what I have far more
difficulty in doing is getting the educational<br>> hours, though few as
they are, are not a priority in our county so I'm<br>> not sure how they
expect us to to get them...go out of county, I guess<br>> or attend the
ISU perennial Saturday in the fall (which I can't always<br>> make and
didn't last year...) It's a source of frustration for me that<br>> I'm
not quite sure how to address. I feel like if this is an
expectation<br>> on the part of our Iowa MG program, then each county
extension office<br>> has an obligat

ion to sponsor enough educational programs to enable us to<br>> fulfill
the requirement. Johnson county definitely does not do
Hearing Center <<br>4042N15@nationalhearing.com > wrote:<br>> From:
Chapel Ridge Wal Mart National Hearing Center
[mailto:<br>4042N15@nationalhearing.com]<br>> To:
gardenchat@hort.net<br>> Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 10:35:11 -0600<br>>
status is being kept up regardless of hours<br>> reported
because<br>they realize your value. I also have the feeling you<br>> may
be<br>under-reporting. A 30 min presentation includes the time it<br>>
takes to design<br>the presentation, prep work, travel, cleanup,
etc.<br>> Altogether (research,<br>creating slideshow, writing and
printing<br>> booklet, practicing, etc.) I<br>probably put 30 hours into
my 65 min<br>> presentation on summer bulbs. I'd be<br>too embarassed to
report that it<br>> took me that long, but I'll turn in perhaps<br>10
hours. Don't be too<br>> humble with your hours report. It doesn't
just<br>benefit you. When you<br>> report that you put in 50 hours in a
year, that<br>report may help your<br>> CES get a better budget. I'm not
saying one should<br>exaggerate, but<br>> don't
<gardenchat@hort.net><br>Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 4:32
misery here...can't<br>> believe how cold it is. Supposed to be<br>> low
of 29 degrees here<br>> tonight and when I was out for my break at
2<br>> a.m., I'm sure it was<br>> close to that. Brrr...had my team's
first softball<br>> practice Monday<br>> night. Poor little girls
(grades 3 & 4)...I had to keep<br>> them moving<br>> all during practice
to keep them warm enough. Next practice<br>> is<br>> Wed...hope it warms
up by th

en
...took me the rest of the night on<br>><br>> Monday just to get warm
again. Got loads of plants that are sitting<br>> on<br>> my covered
front porch waiting to go into the ground...just too<br>> darned<br>>
cold here. So far, most of the blooming things in my yard<br>> have
been<br>> fine, but tonight I'm sure I'll lose the blooms on the<br>>
bleeding hearts<br>> and all my miniature white iris, as well as<br>>
whatever aquilegia's are<br>> flowering already. I'm sure I'll be<br>>
checking damage when I get home in<br>> the a.m. Well, I guess the
MG's<br>> here didn't catch on that I didn't get<br>> my educational
their<br>> active member list. Got a call this past week<br>> to do a
short 30 minute<br>> presentation for pre-schoolers ages 3-5 at<br>> a
local Head Start program...<br>> I am such a sucker for kids...how<br>>
could I say no???? Anyway, got some<br>> cool coloring pages off the
web<br>> for their teacher to photocopy after I'm<br>> gone but also one
of the<br>> local nurseries donated some wheat grass and<br>> some giant
sunflower<br>> seeds. We're going to plant the sunflowers outside<br>>
in the daycare's<br>> little garden and then grow wheat grass "hair"
in<br>> styrofoam cups<br>> that the kid's will decorate with faces. Two
groups of 28<br>> and 35<br>> kids apiece...so I needed quick and easy!
Many of these are<br>><br>> underpriveleged children who have no access
at home to gardens, so<br>> I<br>> can't wait to give them a chance to
< Cersgarden@aol.com ><br>> wrote:<br>> From: [mailto:
May 2005 19:59:23 EDT<br>><br>> Subject: Re: [CHAT] Spring
shrubs are really <br>burned.

My<br>> Magnolia<br>> 'Butterflies', fringe tree and hydrangeas are the
sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with<br>>
the<br>message<br>> text UNSUBSCRIBE