Re: Daylily Problem

In the absence of severe nitrogen deficiency and total lack of light,
yellow leaves on non-ericaceous plants usually mean waterlogged roots
to me - or at least some root problem, more than a disease
problem....I'd dig it up - won't hurt the daylily - and investigate
the roots. If all seems well, just replant it. - hose the soil off
the roots so you can see if they look healthy.  If not, then you'll
know the direction to pursue to fix the problem.

O'course, with plants, it can be lots of things...

Usually, if a virus is attacking a plant, you get some sort of
deformation in the leaf as well as yellow streaks - at the very least
a sort of thickening odd look to the leaf; hard to explain that, but
it seems to be the case in plants I've had that have had some virus
problem.  If the leaves seem normal in shape and size, just off on
color, check the roots.....might also be some sort of
over-fertilizing or lack of nutrients.  Can sometimes happen that one
side of a plant gets too much or too little of some amendment in
planting which just affects the side the roots encountering the
difficulty are on.

Daylilies are prone to assorted rusts, but you get rusty colored
streaks and spots, not yellow leaves as a warning.  Bacterial
diseases (and I don't know if dayliles are prone to them) usually
result in dead, dry, spotted leaves or slimy messes.

I would not panic thinking that whatever is troubling this plant is
going to infect others...not, at least, until you are positive of the
cause of the problem:-)  My motto is 'when in doubt, dig it up and
look'....

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade