Re: Paeonia japonica

Isn't it a lovely child?  I got one a few years ago, too.  1st year,
1 stem; 1 flower - now it is putting up several stems and flowers and
yours will prob. do this as well as time passes.  Flowers are very
fleeting, but followed by marvelous seed pods.  One of my fav. things
about this plant is the color of the new stems as they come up.
Foliage also stays nice - they will go dormant if they get too dry.

I also like that it wants woodland conditions as most 'regular'
peonies need a lot more sun than I have to offer; have only 5 of
those and no where else for any more:-(

I planted the seeds mine formed around the mother plant, but so far
have not seen anything that I could ID as a possible child - think it
takes a couple years or something (I hope)....I have yet to have any
success germinating peonies.    Discovered germination in two of the
many seedpots of other things I've had sitting doing nothing for 3
years, so sometimes it just takes time.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Shadyside Garden Designs
Current Article: Until April 11

> From: Kitty <kmrsy@comcast.net>
> I got this plant a few years ago.  The first year it just wilted
down and
> disappeared.  The second year it had a bud, but it never opened.
This year