Good weekend

I have to revise my theory about weather on weekends. It was as good as it
gets on Saturday, and Sunday just as it started to get too windy for
gardening we left for a Mother's Day thing at my sister-in-laws. And today
it's wretched out there - 25kt winds, cold and cloudy.
I made a reasonable start on weeding my cottage garden bed in the front
yard. I've neglected it sadly over the last couple years - one spring &
summer I spent on the Japanese garden and the next I spent on the native dry
garden. So I have lots of grass, sheep sorrel, and Hooker's evening primrose
to dig out. The daylilies seem to be migrating, seems to me they all used to
be towards the outer edges but now there are more of them almost underneath
the roses. Have to pay more attention to that. The gaillardia is flowering,
and it seems a little early for it, but there it is.
The roses are fabulous right now. I believe I have room for two more, and
one of them is going to be Chrysler Imperial - I was knocked over by the
scent when I saw it at Huntington Gardens. I'd like the other to be Oranges
N Lemons but since they're going to be close to each other I suspect a color
clash that even I can't ignore.  Achillea, bearded iris, cistus, geraniums,
and my struggling peony are all in bloom too (okay, the peony only has one
flower). I must remember to take a picture of the peony, hope I'm not too
late already considering how windy it is.  I missed taking pix of the
azaleas, they were definitely an experiment in this area but they are living
if not getting very big. Same with my camellia sinensis, one is still living
and even putting out new leaves, although it will be a long time before I
can make tea. I saw one at Kew Gardens last year and theirs looked bad too,
so I'm not disheartened.
I was quite excited to see penstemon seedlings in my dry garden, looks like
penstemon palmerii. I hope the babies are worth keeping. And I had my
husband set traps for the gopher that's out there - don't know why, but he
has the magic touch. I never seem to catch them but he always does.
The peas are flowering in my vegetable garden, so at least we'll get some
before we go on vacation. Last year the entire pea patch came into
production while we were in Australia, and my wonderful neighbors taking
care of the place apparently don't like peas, so the whole thing went to
waste. This year I tried to time it so nothing would come in while we're
gone. It will help that it's only a week's absence, and not two.
We had our sheep sheared Saturday so I now have about 15-20 pounds of wool
to wash, card, and spin. I'm sure I'll be able to fit it into my spare time
(wild laughter). The carding is the worst, but if the summer is nice and the
Dodgers are playing well, I'll card on the patio and listen to the games on
the radio.
Thanks for the advice on a trip to Minnesota. I'm definitely taking bug
repellent and something warm to wear; while we may spend most of the trip in
the car, you never know.