Re: tent cat/ birds

I am an bird amateur at best, but have a lot of ornithologist friends.....I
put out feeders and also have different plants that have berries, etc. that
are  frequented by birds, some more than others, some less.  When we first
starting planting for wildlife it was very frustrating, however,  we were told
that not all birds are seed, berry and bug eaters.....and even  within each there
are variances.  For instance, not all seed eating birds  eat the same type of
seed.  So one has to have a variety that is suitable  to certain birds.  Our
mulberry tree is visited by birds that do not visit  other berry producing
shrubs.  Just because a person puts out a certain  seed or has a certain bush
that a bird likes doesn't necessarily mean that is  enough to attract that
particular species.  I have found though that once  "word gets out" eventually
either by coincidence that one bird stops by, or by  the tree getting larger, or
planting more of the same, etc. that the birds  remember and come back more and
more every year.

It's a learning experience for us, and so much yet to learn.  Every  year we
find that there is a new species of bird in our yard, but it has been a  slow
process.

Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 5/9/2005 10:06:10 AM Central Standard Time,