Re: Juncus effusus 'Spirales'

Hi Jim, I have a Juncus effusus Spiralis, (mine is 'variegata', but
basically the same).  I have two pots, one in water, and one out in a bog,  that just
holds water during a rainy period.  They both pretty much grow  the same, so
if you do not have a water garden, that is fine, you can still grow  it.  In
fact, when I got mine and did a search, I found many sites saying  that it had
to be well drained, one even said 1-6 inches of water over the  crown,
considering that mine is not that big right now, (usually variegated  plants aren't
that vigorous, so perhaps that is why).....but 6 inches of water  would drown it
for sure, so doubt I'd go that far.  Hmmmm......so that is  why I left one in
and one out of the pond.  Definitely doesn't do well  when it dries out much,
so frequent watering would be my recomendation no matter  where you put it.
Have you decided where you will plant it???  Mine is in pretty much  full
sun, but given that it is a rush, I would think it could take a fair amount  of
shade, what do you think?  I'd like to put one in the new stream  which will be
under the fig tree (when and if it ever gets done)....definitely  not full
sun.  Let me know what your experiences with it are, okay??   I'd appreciate it.
Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 5/9/2005 4:46:38 PM Central Standard Time,