Re: tent cat/ birds

No expert here either, but between the hackberries, various types of
viburnums and mahonias, privets, VA creeper, wild ivies and one
beautyberry - there are enough berries here to make them happy.  Plus
feeders and sunflowers and the millet and wheat I allow to grow in the
wilder areas to suit most birds.  There's the brush "cave" for the
ground lovers to hide/roost in and roosting pockets, plus the trees to
nest in.
Even left one dead tree in the back corner for the woodpeckers and
such.  And all the understory shrubs provide plenty of cover, along w/
the honeysuckles that some bird is actually roosting in this year
which is cool.  I think diversity is the key.  Have 5 bird baths too.
And this place isn't big by any stretch of the imagination.

On 5/9/05, EvaTEsq@aol.com <EvaTEsq@aol.com> wrote:
> I'm no bird expert, but the birds here (mourning doves, cardinals,
> chickadees, sparrows) seem more spoiled than anything else.  They are  feeder-hoppers.
> I never have to worry about them going after my tomatoes,  rasberries, apples
> or peaches.  They really aren't that ambitious.   They never even try to
> touch them.  I have never had to buy bird netting  for any of my fruits or
> veggies.
> The only birds that I have ever seen picking at any of my plants are the
> goldfinches that arrive when the sunflowers bloom.  They eat the sunflower
> seeds.  They don't go near the feeders.  That's pretty much it.
> I'm not sure what kind of caterpillars they were, but I think they were the
> eastern tent caterpillars.
> _http://www.tent-caterpillar.com/_ (http://www.tent-caterpillar.com/)
> Eva
> Long  Island, NY