Re: Paeonia japonica

I have a teeny one of the P. obovata - no blooms yet, but I'm hoping
- at least it came back this year!

I'm not sure Tony gets his from Ellen, but I'm sure he's more
expensive!  I think a lot of Tony but his prices have gone way up the
last few years....

Well, I've had no luck with the seeds in baggies doing the
warm/fridge/warm bit - so thought I'd just put them around the mother
plant as they would end up in nature and see what happened...

The pots that finally germinated for me after 3 years weren't peonies
- I've been thinking of pitching that lot - quite a few pots - that
have been lined up outside the greenhouse for so long and then I see
something has germinated!  So, guess I'll hang on to them a while
longer to see if anything else does - sometimes it takes forever!

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Shadyside Garden Designs
Current Article: Until April 11

----------
<4042N15@nationalhearing.com>

> Marge,
> I also have P. obovata, another woodland peony, but with pink
blooms.  It's
> shoots are only up a few inches so far, but it bloomed the first
year (got
> them at the same time, but obovata came from Seneca while japonica
came from
> PDN - I think PDN gets them from Seneca, divides them and charges
twice as
> much).
>
> I posted a picture of the red, white, and blue seedpod from obovata
last
> year.  I tried germinating the seed in a baggie os smoist sphagnum,
in and
> out of refrigeration, but no luck.  They're back in the fridge
again.  I was
> thinking of pitching them, but if you're willing to give them 3
yrs, maybe
> I'll let them sit awhile longer.
>
> BTW - I don't really mind 'fleeting' flowers when they are this
gorgeous.  I
> don't have a display garden and it doesn't have much of a design.
I just
> have what I like (and can afford) and the fact that each has its
special
> moment for me to glory in, is enough for me.
>
> Kitty

things

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kmrsy/detail?.dir=c1ea&.dnm=f928.jpg&.sr