Re: ornamental grass!

Of course, I am partial to prairie grasses, and I'd vote for Prairie
Dropseed (Sporobolus heterolepsis) as the best native ornamental. Of
course, it isn't tall (forms a mound 18-24 inches high, with flower
spikes to about 36 inches) - has to be viewed close up, but it is a
clumper, so the only thing you need to worry about is self seeding.
The narrow leaves form a graceful fountain. I use it to line paths.
AND the bloom is fragrant. Some say it smells like popcorn, but I
think cilantro.

Cathy, west central IL, z5b