Re: ornamental grass!

Thanks for all the information.... and deer don't eat them? I don't have a problem with deer but several around do so that is interesting.
thanks again,
Tricia
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, May 14, 2005 3:02 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] ornamental grass!

Tricia, it may be trite, but we have been very happy with the
Miscanthus 'Morning Light.'  I know it's an old one, but tried
and true.  I have an area at the bottom of my backyard,
down by the pond, that is very heavy clay, and sometimes
damp - though it dries out in the summer.  I have two large
clumps of 'Morning Light' and one of another Miscanthus -
has a broad white stripe - which makes a nice accent.
There is a clump of Calamagrostis 'Karl Foster' coming
along, for another accent, but it was new last year and is
still small. I also have a clump of the Zebra Grass Miscanthus,
but to the back.  I don't really like it - looks diseased to me -
but I keep it because it was given me by a dear friend who has
since died. These clumps of grass fill up the bulk of the
area but leave room for some odd things . Last year I had
several quite large and handsome foxgloves there, but
nothing has been too happy for long.  To the front I have a
short grass with a bright yellow stripe - I have the name
somewhere but can't lay my hands on it right now.  And just
today at the Lasdon plant sale I bought a pot of Japanese
blood grass 'Red Baron.'  The botanical name on the pot
doesn't look right, so I'll have to research that, too.  Anyway,
my whole point is that grasses make an attractive way to
fill a difficult spot.  They look good all winter.  And most
important of all, the deer don't eat them!

In a message dated 05/14/2005 1:16:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time,