Re: Bromeliad....YEAH!!!

Can you beat this?  The tag on the bromelaid doesn't say what kind it
is.  Nice shiny green straplike leaves, red cup, picture on the tag
shows red flowers.  Says water in the cup, no direct light and minimum
temperature 40 degrees.  Guess I'll get a picture for Donna to post so
you more knowledgeable types can take a shot at identifying it.  Man.

On 5/16/05, Hollikft@aol.com <Hollikft@aol.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the Information Noreen!
>    I just purchased a bromeliad..   Guzmanias...    How long are they in
> Bloom??   There  is  a baby already!  I will print out this information also!
> Thanks Again
> Holli
> LI, NY
> In a message dated 5/16/2005 7:23:06 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> TeichFlora@aol.com writes:
> Most  folks make the mistake of throwing away a bromeliad after it blooms
> (usually the Guzmanias and Vriesia types) because they think the plant  is
> dead....but in fact all bromeliads pup out.  Eventually the  mother plant
> will die
> back (some genus sooner than others), since it  only blooms once.   As the
> foliage dies back, you take that  off.  Eventually they will form a  clump.
> You can
> either  leave the pups on, creating a large clump of  bromelads....or you can
> take them off as they mature more and produce new plants   (specimen).   No
> problems with black spot or anything else  with  Broms.   Members of our
> society
> with greenhouses  report problems  with scale, and others say that squirrels
> love to  eat theirs, but I've  never had any problems.  Once I learned more,
> they
> have literally  become the easiest plant I have to care for.
> FYI:  Houston Brom. society:    _http://bromeliadsocietyhouston.org/_
> (http://bromeliadsocietyhouston.org/)
> Brom. society  international:      _http://www.bsi.org/_
> (http://www.bsi.org/)