Re: Bromeliads....Tillandsia

Oh Kitty, I love Tillandsias.  They are so cool.  Very  unique.
Some Tillandsias can be potted......as in T. cyanea.  However most are  much
better mounted.  I've found that on Tillandsias, they are really easy  to
grow, if you keep them misted but not soaked.  Like the little ionanthas  that one
sees readily available mounted on shells, or magnets or such for the
kitchen???  Bright light is essential with all, and a regular  misting.  Mom has a
tiny "tree" in a small pot, piece of branch and a  cluster of the T. ionanthas
on top to form a tree......once a week or  two she sticks it under the faucet
to wet it, lets it drip dry, and it sits  on her kitchen window above the
sink....but she lives in very dry San Antonio,  Tx.   It is more humid here, so I
just spray mine with a spray bottle with  rain water.  Rule of thumb is if they
have silver foliage they take less  water...misting.  If they have green
foliage they can take more water and  probably can be potted up more readily.
When potting up most bromeliads (except terrestrials) pot in orchid  mix,
bark chips, or other very well draining medium, for excellent  drainage.

I have found though.....this might be getting more technical....but there
are two types of Tillandsias....(as with orchids)...those from high altitudes
and those from low.  Here, being pretty darn near sea level, we cannot grow
the high altitude plants at all.  So perhaps this is something to consider  as
well when purchasing the plants depending on your location.

A great source for Tillandsias is also Birdrock nursery out in  California.
They carry a lot of the high altitude types.  I'm  not sure if Tropiflora
would carry that many, considering their  location.    Birdrock has a website
also:   _http://www.birdrocktropicals.com/_ (http://www.birdrocktropicals.com/)

Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 5/16/2005 11:02:20 PM Central Standard Time,