Re: Bromeliad....Aechmea

Hi Noreen

No that isn't my bloom Noreen. I like it but that isn't it. Someday I'll post a pic of it.

I did take a pic of my 12' albutilon for Ceres to see. It made an interesting picture because it's all wound up with a lavender clematis. As soon as I get my head above water again I'll share I promise.

To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 9:19 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Bromeliad....Aechmea

Hey David....is this your bloom??
_http://bromeliadsocietyhouston.org/gallery/index.html_ (http://bromeliadsocietyhouston.org/gallery/index.html) If
so, that's Aechmea gamosepala, it's one of the easiest bromeliads to grow
outside. It is a very prolific grower and bloomer. Great mounted or potted. You
can stick this thing into any crouch of a tree, or between branches,
anywhere......it does well in sun, part shade, takes more neglect than any other
bromeliad it seems. Very hardy too, tolerated the 6 inches of snow on it's head
this past winter. True it was only overnight, but still....I would have not
thought it would rebound that well, in fact it didn't even damage them. I
think the blooms are really unique too, since in a way they look like baby
rattles being so light blue and pink. A cutey, for sure!!!! Seems in your
climate you could grow more outside....seems the morning fog would be the
perfect humidity and cover from full sun that they would need. Neoregelias are
probably the only ones that would need more heat and full sun. From what I hear
these are the only Bromeliads that folks in lower zones have difficulty

zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 5/17/2005 10:05:28 AM Central Standard Time,