Re: ornamental grass!

Well, Kitty, the species is a pernicious weed in tropical and
semi-tropical climates.  I once got an extremely nasty email from
some naturalist in Florida, castigating me for writing about 'Red
Baron' in a positive way - I managed to kill mine after a couple of
years.  Supposedly, 'Red Baron' does not set seed. I have NEVER heard
of its being invasive - that clone.  And the species won't survive in
cold winter climates anyway.  I wrote that dude back pointing out
that I had mentioned the invasive qualities of the species and
requesting some scientific data confirming that the clone 'Red Baron'
was invasive and he never replied...so much for him!

Like you've said - 'invasive' depends on where you're growing what.
Unfortunately, what is happening here, as well as in other parts of
the world, is that if a plant proves to be invasive in a specific
climate, it's labeled 'invasive' and starts getting on the banned
lists.  A really dangerous turn of events, IMO, given where USDA is
heading.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Shadyside Garden Designs
Current Article: Until April 11

> From: Kitty <kmrsy@comcast.net>
> Auralie: > Imperata koenigii 'Red Baron'  Japanese Blood Grass.
> I know I've seen it listed that way somewhere, but I think it's an
old name.
> Sometimes shown as Imperata cylindrica var.koenigii 'Red Baron'
> I think it is supposed to be simply Imperata cylindrica 'Red Baron'
>
> Ceres,  why would this grass be banned.  It barely survives here.
The owner