bargain

I had a coupon good this week only for 30% off a nearby good nursery.  I'd
already picked up a few quarts a few weeks ago, their gallons are too
pricey.  As I browsed I saw a gathering of Pennisetum 'Burgundy Giant'. This
is something I've been wanting, but it always seemed too expensive.  These
were packed tightly into 8 inch mum pans and were in great shape.  The tag
read $14.50, but that was crossed out and marked down to $9.95. someone also
had used a grease pencil and wrote ANNUAL across every tag.  I chuckled and
this woman next to me gave me a quizzical look.  I explained that it's not;
it's a tender perennial I can put in the garage over the winter.  She looked
at me with disdain and grumbled, "Well, that makes it an annual as far as
I'm concerned."

I looked some more and found nothing better, so I grabbed one and went to
check out.  The guy started to ring me up when the manager rounded the
corner, saw what I was buying, grabbed it, and said, "You KNOW this is an
ANNUAL don't you?"  I replied as before and added, "I can't afford to throw
away perfectly good plants."  She replied knowingly, "Ah, a customer after
my own heart."

This is an upscale nursery that charges $16.50 for a gallon Heuchera that
costs them $2.00.  That's fine; there's lots of money involved in labor,
overhead, plant losses, etc.; I don't begrudge what they charge; I just
won't pay that.  I will opt for their $3.95 quarts early in the season
before they move them up to $15 gallons.  I can do the moving up myself.
I'll also avail myself of a $14.50 Burgundy Giant for $7 after markown and
coupon.  That's a bargain.

Kitty
neIN Z5