Re: Spigela marilandica question

Oh good - thanks Gene!  I had suspected they were.  They're probably
like growing daylilies from seed - four years is normal start to
finish.  Well I will give them a try.  If I can get even one to
propagate, that will be a victory.  And yes, they do flower a second
time IF you deadhead.
Mine have from their second year in the ground, such a nice surprise.
I just LOVE this plant.  I wonder if leaving the seeds will affect
that second bloom period.  Oh well, will have to risk it...

On 5/22/05, Gene Bush <genebush@otherside.com> wrote:
> Seed pods they are, Pam.
>    Wait for them to turn tan and then feel them... with a very slight
> pressure they should come off into your fingers. The seeds will be small
> what looks like black stones. Keep a close eye on the pods as when they
> mature they explode and throw the seeds. Veeeeerrry slow from seed to
> flower... years.
>    One of the most showy natives and among my favorites when in bloom in
> the garden. I have 5 mature clumps of it in my garden going up the hill into
> the garden.
>    I did not know it flowered a second time... must be your long mild
> seasons.
>    Gene E. Bush
> Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
> www.munchkinnursery.com