Re: Rain - a little

I just checked my calender.  3/4" of rain in May.  1/2" in April
(should have been closer to 5" both months).   Mid to upper 90's every
day w/ THI of around 105 or so.   This is unseasonable, even for here.
 Wish I could send you and extra 10 degrees or so Auralie.   Back out
to move the hose again.

> We had a little shower this morning - gentle rain for maybe half an hour.
> Every
> little bit helps, but this is not nearly enough.  It is still overcast and
> cool - mid
> 50s - but no more rain.  It's been so cool I have delayed ptting out my
> tender
> plants - basil, tomatoes, etc. Haven't actually had frost in a week, but it
> has been
> in the 30s and low 40s at night and scarcely up to 60 in the daytime.  I just
> don't
> thing they would enjoy it.
> Daffodils are finally gone, and the old-fashioned double orange poppies are
> starting to bloom.  I have no idea what kind they are - sent Marge a picture
> a couple of years ago and she didn't know either - but I love them.  They have
> dark blue-black centers, and always have very twisty stems.  Blooms about
> 3 1/2 inches across.  They don't last too long, and the foliage disappears
> completely when the flowers are gone - then comes back in  late summer.
> I guess some would call them invasive.  They don't like to stay put and are
> always appearing somewhere I don't expect them, but they aren't invasive as
> in crowding out other plants.
> Dogwoods have been very poor this year.  Don't know why, but probably
> has to do with last year's weather pattern.  Some years are much better
> than others.  This is just about the very northern edge of their range, and
> having
> shallow root systems, they are very vulnerable to drought and any other
> unusual
> environmental situation.
> Auralie

Pam Evans