Re: Rain > poppies

Russell is in our Oklahoma Hort society. Interesting. I love the color of these poppies.
If anyone has any extra seed I would love to try growing them.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Chapel Ridge Wal Mart National Hearing Center" <4042N15@nationalhearing.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, May 23, 2005 6:18 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Rain > poppies

Here's the article. My memory must have embellished the part about
immigrants bringing it over. But then, it would follow from what he writes.
I tried to find a photo on the internet, but there wasn't much. I found one
similar on a nifty.com site, but it's not quite the same as the one in the
article. The article pic shows dark stamens. The site I found shows gold
stamens - also lighter color petals and not as many petals. If you'd like
to see the picture from the article, let me know and I will scan and send to
you later.

A Poppy's Roots
Field Notes
by Russell Studebaker
Horticulture (date not known)

Starting out from Mexico in 1541, the Spanish conquistador Francisco
Coronado searched in vain for fabled gold on the plains of Texas and Kansa
near Wichita. A few centuries later, and not far from Wichita, I
rediscovered a plant that seems to be almost as rare as gold, at least in
the nursery trade. Traveling through Winfield, KS in the 1970s, I noticed a
traffic island in which there grew magnificent double orange poppies that
were as desirable to me as gold was to Coronado.

Wanting to expand the species range of this beautiful plant, I gathered
seeds and grew them in Tulsa. Through the ensuing years, I saw this poppy
only rarely in other gardens, where their owners simply called it "double
orange poppy'. Years passed, and I found it growing also in Victorian
cottage gardens in Eureka Springs, AR, and - surprisingly, in my own
neighborhood. Emulating Coronado's extensive quest, I determined to learn
its proper name.

It definitely grew from an oriental poppy; for one thing it was more prone
to increase by runners, producing nice clumps. Then in late summer it would
go dormant, and reappear in early spring. I soon realized that I would need
help to identify it, so I made a color photo of the blooming plant on the
top portion of a page, and on the bottom portion of the page I wrote its
description and my observations of its habits.

Like a rap sheet for a wanted person, these mug shots and marks of
identification were sent to several persons of horticultural expertise who I
thought might help. After several weeks, all my inquiries were answered (a
great accomplishment in itself). Most were unfamiliar with the plant, and
one respondent thought it might be a semi-double Oriental poppy.

The true identity came in a letter from Fred McGourty, owner of Hillside
Gardens, a perennial nursery in Norfolk, CT, and the former editor of the
BBG's Handbook series. Mr. McGourty wrote in March 2001 telling me that
there were not many cultivars of poppies with double flowers, and that this
one seemed to match Papaver lateritium 'Flore Pleno', commonly known as the
Armenian Poppy. He also wrote that it was uncommon in the eastern US and
could well be a pass-over-the-fence plant of rural areas.

In his book "Poppies", Christopher Grey-Wilson reports that "it is a native
of the mountains of Turkish Armenia (Lazistan) where it inhabit rocky
places, cliff crevices, and screes at altitudes of 3900 - 9850 feet." The
Armenian Poppy is a long-lived perennial, naturalized in England, and is
hardy here from zones 4-9. In Tulsa its two-and-a-half to 3 inch bright
orange flowers open in May, looking like ruffled petticoats. They are
traffic stoppers, however, and can be difficult to assimilate into most
color schemes. They might be best used in a border's front with gray or
silver plants.

It seems that, regardless of the success of recent plant hunters in exotic
places, there are still worthy plants to be discovered, or rediscovered, in
our own wonderful land.