Summer already? happenings in the desert garden

We always have a short spring here but maybe this time it's shorter than
usual. Last weekend was in the 90s and it's not cooled off much. I planted a
number of things trying to time it so that nothing would come due for
harvest during our vacation but I dunno, the heat may speed up growth in
some areas. We'll see.
I have been giving away spinach at work; the row is absolutely exploding
with growth, way more than I can use, and I might as well give it away.
Perhaps over the long weekend I'll be able to freeze some of it for use in
soups this winter. My snow peas are probably about done too, lots of peas
ready to pick but not many new flowers. We've had a lot of fresh peas over
the last couple weeks but I don't think there will be enough to put in the
freezer. I seem to be having more than my usual number of germination
problems in the veggie garden this year but there will be enough stuff out
there to keep me busy. Alas, no Heatwave tomatoes, for some reason both the
transplants I put in failed. They were kinda spindly. Or maybe they were the
Sunmasters...anyway after those died I put in a different type, a strong
sturdy little tomato transplant, and it keeled over and died too. Something
definitely wrong right in that spot.
The roses are pretty much done with their first flush so more work this
weekend, deadheading and spreading around some epsom salts. And the eternal
weeding. Actually deadheading is needed everywhere already.
Last weekend I went hiking in the foothills near us with my friend, she
introduced me to the trails up there last fall and we (and our dogs) have
been having a good walk every weekend since. Very depressing this time. Here
in this major recreational area with marked trails, used by hundreds of
people, we found surveyor's stakes. Turns out it is not public property and
will be bulldozed for tract homes in a few months. I had been hearing about
the development but assumed it was on the other side of the ridge. My friend
who's been walking those hills for 15 years is devastated; I don't have the
same emotional investment but it's still hard to take. Zillions of acres of
flat land with tumbleweeds on it around here, but they're going to bulldoze
the area with the biggest biological diversity in our whole valley. Sigh. I
wish I could remember exactly where we saw some of the native bulbs, might
as well go dig them up if I could find them.  I could grab some beavertail
cactus, if I had a place to put it, or maybe the smaller yucca pups.
At any rate it promises to be a nice weekend coming up, hot maybe but I
suppose I can always find a shady place to weed.