From: Zemuly Sanders [mailto: zsanders@midsouth.rr.com]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 20:39:15 -0500
Subject: [CHAT] Bad Times for Cats

I have hesitated to discuss this with you all because I have been so
upset but<br>here goes... A very wealthy doctor and his wife own a
historic house in<br>LaGrange (one of many). They decided they had a
problem with skunks, and<br>instead of calling the county animal control
officer they called the game<br>warden who gave them permission to use
leghold traps. Their house is down the<br>street from me, in the middle
of town, and surrounded by houses with small<br>children. They employed
idiots from the primordial ooze. Bottom line there<br>are four dead cats
(two of which were mine and all of whom were shot -- in<br>town), one
cat with a broken foot, one injured fox sold to dog trainers,
and<br>untold dead possums. I have not heard of their catching any
skunks. I went<br>beserk, our policeman was horrified, the mayor was
bothered because it<br>involved a confrontation, which he abhors. My
girlfriend, whose cat has the<br>broken foot,and I have involved PETA

all the mayor would promise was<br>to see what he could do. Today he
told me they had switched to humane traps<br>and that all cats would be
released. Oh, yes, they were baiting the leghold<br>traps with
sardines!!! If you don't hear from me for a while it will be<br>because
I'm in jail. I am going to speak with the DA's office about
filing<br>animal abuse charges (a misdemeanor here). I am now extremely
knowledgeable<br>about the kinds of traps legal in Tennessee, and it
makes me sick. I have<br>also posted a copy of our animal abuse statute
on the towns bulletin board.<br>PETA is calling our mayor tomorrow to
find out the status of the case. If<br>that doesn't stop the slaughter

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com