Hot

Too hot after about 10 AM today to do much outside. 87 now [1:30 or so]. My New York neighbor has a bitter orange that hangs over my fence, and I did manage to get a lot of the hang-over lopped off while it was still pleasant out.

So right now I'm sitting inside, air on, sipping a little white wine, and trying to figure out where to plant a tree given to us by the parents of one of Ms. Fatma's students. It's a cherimoya they raised from seed. It makes the fourth Annonaceae in our collection [two sugar apples and an atemoya]; the only other one I would like to add is the native paw-paw, but doubt if we can give it the chill hours it needs to be happy.

All of the vegetable seeds I've planted are up except for the pigeon peas. They were old seeds, so I may be out of luck until I get some new ones. And two of the three Palestine lime seeds I planted are up. Palestine lime is a citrus from--where else?--the Middle East. Reported to be quite popular in Israel. It produces limes that are sweet rather than tart but otherwise quite limey in flavor. Now if I can just get the babies to grow for me, I'll be very happy. Incidentally, it took only 11 days for them to germinate--outdoors, in the lathhouse, under mist; medium was Gardener's Supply germinating mix.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10