Re: Outrage!

Havahart trap, bait it with a can of cat food [securely tied to the closed end of the trap so the sucker's got to get all the way in to reach it], and a strong young guy to haul the trapped miscreant to New Hampshire before letting it loose.

We have found that simply leaving the light on will deter them from certain areas. We have halogen spots on the back patio at night, and while we see signs that there have been other raccoons in the yard, they have left the pots on the patio and in the lathhouse alone.

Without the lights to deter them, they seem to return to the scene of the crime and repeat the same diggings. The one we caught had dug up two potted Thai hybrid crowns of thorns 3 nights running. Same pot. She also dug up a papaya that was still in its nursery pot 2 nights in a row. Both of these events caused considerable angst--the Thai crowns are fairly expensive and these two are unusual [clear yellow; no hint of red in the eye] and the papaya because papayas do not like to be transplanted and the animal had all but bare-rooted it twice.

All plants survived fortunately. The crowns are now blooming like mad and the papaya is growing like the weed it is.