Re: Scale on orchids

There is a complex answer to this in the June Orchids Magazine (formerly AOS
Bulletin), and at the end they quote this website:
http://nathist.sdstate.edu/orchids/pests/scales.htm which seems to have all
of the info included in the article.

In addition to the info in the above link, the Orchids article states:  "The
current arsenal of effective insecticides for the small grower of orchids is
more limited.  If you are looking for a systemic, about the only one
available inexpensively is acephate (=Orthene).  This chemical now comes in
a wide variety of formulations from commercial wettable powders to premixed
over-the-counter spray bottles.  If you are using Isotox IV, this new
formulation is a mixture of acephate and the miticide fenbutatin-oxide.
Alternatives that are effective include Malathion, carbaryl, imadichloprid
and the growth regulator kinprene (sold as EnstarII).  These are highly
effective on crawlers, but not adults."

In our greenhouse, we use alcohol and a q-tip -- time consuming, but it
works, or rubbing alcohol mixed with a little Ivory dishwashing soap and
water in a spray bottle.  So far we've not needed anything more potent than
that (knock wood).   I know that some growers highly recommend EnstarII, but
it is VERY expensive.

There is a book, Orchid Pests and Diseases (www.aos.org or 561-404-2020)
which is very good.  Most local orchid societies have it in their
libraries -- if you visited a meeting, you could probably at least see if
you wanted to purchase it.

Texas Gulf Coast