Re: Today in the garden

Well... a... hum. If you walk on them while unshod, they might be uncomfortable, Donna. But this is Florida. Can we all say "fire ants"? Thankfully, there are not fire ants everywhere, but unthankfully there is no law that requires them to identify their nests. So going unshod has risks beyond the discomfiture of bare feet on fresh shell paths.

We can also buy quarried shell--that is, fossilized shell. It is available in a variety of grades that have to do with particle size. The premium grade [smallest particle size] is suitable for bare feet--almost like sand. But it costs about $60.00 a yard delivered and dumped in your driveway.