Re: More demons of ignorance, arrogance, and darkness

  • To: gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] More demons of ignorance, arrogance, and darkness
  • From: "Marge Talt" mtalt@hort.net
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 01:13:54 -0400

Well, Jim, that is heartening - at least the twit didn't manage to
entirely kill it.  Is there anything that can be done to give it
something to climb on since he also pruned off the boots?

Delighted the Historical Society has made this a cause....of course,
they would have to assign a permanent person to keep it up forever.

Once developers get going it is really hard to control what happens.
Money talks so much more loudly than reason....and when you start out
dealing with ignorant workers assigned to jobs for which they have
received little training and then you add the pressures that
'desirable' real estate puts on agencies to have things look like the
developer's PR materials, you get an even tougher situation.

One of the problems is that we, as a nation, have no real training
ground for true gardeners - in the sense of those maintaining public
(and even private) gardens on a commercial level.  Commercially,
gardeners are at the bottom pay-wise.  My recently acquired
experience with 'landscapers' indicates that the guys actually doing
the work are just muscle....no clue why they're doing what they're
doing ref. plants...and not all that much interest; it's just a job.
Idea seems to be get in and get out quick leaving everything pruned
into next year and swathed in mulch.  Pity.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Shadyside Garden Designs