Re: More demons of ignorance, arrogance, and darkness

  • To: gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] More demons of ignorance, arrogance, and darkness
  • From: "Marge Talt" mtalt@hort.net
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 01:35:17 -0400

Well, Auralie, I guess my first question is what is the level of
hort. expertise amongst these people?  Are they casual gardeners or
dedicated gardeners?  If casual gardeners, it just may be that they
do not understand the difference between natural varieties and
cultivars despite nodding their collective heads up and down when you
tell them and show slides, even if they've attended your class more
than once.  People in a group are loathe to admit that they really
don't understand something everybody else around them appears to
understand.  I don't know what qualifications one has to have to be a
judge, but they may not include being a dedicated plant freak who
knows the difference between a natural variety and a cultivar.

Plus, people just don't pay real attention anymore - if we humans
ever collectively did.  I have banged my head against a solid brick
wall for 30 years writing specifications to have contractors not pay
the least attention to what they actually say - and I try to use
plain English and even emphasize important items with bold
typeface....and these are people IN THE TRADE who should KNOW what
the 'H' I'm talking about.  Duh.

Possibly (only possibly) the only thing that would work would be a
printed list of plants they cannot use with every such plant on it.
Even then, some of them would lose the list and not pay attention.

You know that saying "What Part of No Didn't You

It ain't you, it's your audience and the rules that they have to
follow which don't actually make a lot of sense to me.

I do wonder why the FGC of NYS has this policy - it's not like
snipping a branch of something growing in your own yard is going to
endanger a species as such...seems a bit asinine IMO.   Seems like it
would do more good to limit plants used to those growing IN the
exhibitor's OWN garden - that would - or should - stop any snipping
from wild populations of anything.

I dunno....I am getting tired of 'restrictions'...seems like this
currant world is fixated on restrictions for just about every
conceivable activity by man, beast or vegetation.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Shadyside Garden Designs