The heat is on

Ah, the perfect weekend. I guess the weather gods have decided that we have
had enough cold weather. It was at least 90F during the weekend and it is 90
again today. I believe I've finally thawed out, I wore shorts instead of
sweats while gardening. Of course, my peas and lettuces are probably not too
happy, but it will likely cool down some before no-kidding summer gets here.
OTOH, I planted the cool season stuff so late this year due to the bad
weather that having them fail due to a heatwave would be just my luck.
I still haven't managed to plant all the summer veggies; I figured I would
seed eggplant and okra directly into the ground - they're just for fun, I
don't normally grow them - and the peppers are still in the greenhouse. The
seeds I soaked in saltpetre are mostly coming up already! It seems to work
for the chile peppers, I tried with some Italian and bell types but haven't
seen their sprouts yet. But I'm going to remember it.
I dragged most of the ornamental plants out of the greenhouse, only a month
late on that chore. I'm a little apprehensive. I used to have a bamboo on
the patio that stayed out all year - until last week when darling Trixie the
rottweiler decided she needed more roughage in her diet - now it's a
collection of 6 inch tall stems. We'll see what she does with the expanded
opportunity. None of them are priceless so if she does eat them it's not a
major loss. I'd be pretty unhappy if she ate my bay tree though.
Saw my first rose too, from the only bush I didn't prune, but the others
aren't too far behind. The bearded iris are starting to bloom now. And we
have so many gopher mounds that I think the babies must be tunneling out for
themselves now. My husband has every trap we own set.
Guess I won't manage to buy any daylilies this year, I saw so many wonderful
ones while working on my catalog site I figured I'd treat myself. There's
always next year, and I really do need to work on maintenance instead. I
think it's coming along pretty well. I need about four weekends with no
distractions. What are the chances...

Cyndi