Today in the garden

The weed that is all over my lawn these days is Hairy bittercress, Cardamine
hirsute. It has seeds that fling themselves for miles when they burst!
Heres a reference: http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/carhi.htm.

I spent an hour emptying a rotting half whiskey barrel.  After the soil was
mostly out, I broke the rotten wood off to make it lighter so that I could
take it to our personal dump.  We dont have rubbish removal, so every
year we have to get a dumpster to remove debris we have accumulated.  We are
redoing decks, so there is no shortage of materials to fill a dumpster.  Of
course, there are broken patio umbrellas (the wind claims at least one a
season), old fence sections, and just plain junk that I cant put out with
the regular trash. Next, I used all the principals of physics that I could
muster to get the replacement barrel into the wheel barrel and then into the
garden. You have to use your brain when another pair of hands is not
available!  Of course my muscles will be sore tomorrow, but the deed is
done.

Next I potted up some canna and put the pots in one of those mini
greenhouses in a sheltered area on my deck.  I think that theyll be warm
enough there.  There is no room in the inn as I have trays of coleus
cuttings and many tropicals in the house already.

The only daylily with a scape is H. middendorfii.  Its been living in a pot
for a year.  I left it in the garden all winter and it looks great! We must
have had a mild winter as I found a dahlia safe and sound.  Its not even in
a sheltered spot. A tender perennial,  Phygelius x rectus 'Moonraker',  made
it through the winter as well. See:
http://www.perennials.com/seeplant.html?item=1.419.050. Also, a couple of
hosta that I thought died from disease last year are alive and well!

Chris Petersen

Northport, Long Island, New York

 Zone 7a (Average min temp 50 - 00)

chris@widom-assoc.com