From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Jesse Bell
Sent: Friday, May 05, 2006 9:57 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: RE: [CHAT] Photos of Lady Chatsworth

Well, the more I read about Geese, the more I understand what she is doing.
Goslings stay with their mother or parents 70 days or even longer. She came
to us as a baby and imprinted on me. She did not have a "goose example" to
go by. I really do think she is watching this momma duck. The duck made her
nest in the stall, so goose made HER nest in the stall. If somebody came too
close to the duck's nest, she hissed and made sounds...then goose started
doing the same thing. When the ducklings hatched and the momma took them to
the puddles to start swimming...goose followed right behind her. She mimicks
what the momma duck is doing. And this particular duck is a VERY good
mother. So this is a good thing. She is learning by watching. I remember
trying to get goose to fly!....I would have to run and she would follow me
flapping her wings over and over again until she figured out how to lift
off. The mother would have taught her how to to do that, but she wasn't

around. So Peepers learned to fly much later than a goose normally would.
This has been a big learning experience for ME as well. I've been keeping a
diary on Peepers, and watching what she does. She has become very
independent...but when she really, really needs something, she will come and
find us. Like this winter when she was hurt. She came up to the house to get
our attention. I took her inside, washed her off in the bathtub and dried
her. She remembered being in the house when she was a baby and became quite
CONTENT in my kitchen. LOL. So she has mixed "goose emotions" - she's part
goose-part person!

Bonnie & Bill Morgan <wmorgan972@ameritech.net> wrote:
  They sure are darling and I really enjoyed the photos.

How warm is the area where Peepers has her nest? Not being an expert, I
wonder if the area has been warm enough, might you be able to get an
incubator to put the eggs into? Of course, someone would have to "distract"
Ms. Peepers with protecting the ducklings, first. Mothering doesn't come
with a manual and much of it is learned by observation and trial and error.
She obviously has a strong maternal instinct, but isn't sure where to direct
that energy. Perhaps watching the duck family will help her become the
mother she wants to be.

Ms. Izzie was such a good momma, I imagine, only because she watched
daughter Tzeitel's Kira care for her litter.

Blessings,
Bonnie (SW OH - zone 5)