Re: Paulownia

Me too! I'd like to try one just for the heck of it.
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2006 4:34 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Paulownia

If ANY of you on this list have some "invasive" Paulownia tree starts
that you DON'T want, I will gladly take it (them). I have tried to find
that tree for three years now. I even tried to order it once but never
got it. They ran out.

Jesse

MICHAEL HABIB <godihabib@verizon.net> wrote:
Paulownia is considered an invasive, very messy tree around here. I must
admit I too love the flowers in the tree line along the George Washington
Parkway.
Godi zone 7
Mt. Vernon, VA

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrea Hodges"
Sent: Sunday, May 07, 2006 10:09 PM

Hmmm, I might have to try one someday when I have the space.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Zemuly Sanders"
Sent: Sunday, May 07, 2006 9:26 PM

I did a talk on antebellum gardens and found that it was very popular all
over the south after it was discovered in China in the early years of the
19th century. I have one in my yard because I love them. I pulled it out
of my flower bed. They come up all over the place and grow at an
incredible rate. It was named after the daughter of the czar of Russia.
BTW, I can't believe I butchered the name the way I did.
zem
----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrea Hodges"
Sent: Sunday, May 07, 2006 8:06 PM

I just looked it up and it IS a Paulownia Zem. Hallelujah! Thanks for
that. Now I'm just surprised it's here. I thought it was too hot here,
but it's doing fantastic.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Zemuly Sanders"
Sent: Sunday, May 07, 2006 11:17 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Jacaranda

Are you sure it's not a Pawlonia? They were very popular in antebellum
gardens in your area and have naturalized literally everywhere.
zem