From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of james singer
Sent: Wednesday, May 10, 2006 2:38 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] So much to do etc

Cyndi, here's a post from another list re gopher/ground squirrel
problem--

I've tried electric fences before using a "small pet" transformer, and
that stopped the ground squirrels for a while -- then they started
just taking the shock and destroying things again.

So this year I covered the railroad ties that surround the garden with
wire mesh ("hardware cloth") so that any animals on them would have a
good "ground".  Then using a "large animal" transformer I put plastic
insulators on top of the railroad ties and ran the wire about an inch
and a half over the tie.

So far I've actually killed every ground squirrel that has tried to
get into the garden -- with zero damage to any of the plants!

Of course I have forgotten that the electric fence is there and I've
shocked myself a number of times.

Richard Primbs
Encinitas CA

Island Jim