RE: plant suggestions please

Donna, brick walls do that.  When we looked into energy conservation, they
suggested putting sun rooms on the south side of houses solely for the
reason that brick absorbs heat during the day and dissipates it after the
sun goes down.  If you used a climber (like a clematis or something with the
same "reach") on a trellis on that wall, the plant itself would shield the
wall from the heat where the trellis covers the bricks.  Just putting a
wooden trellis up against that wall will help cool it down because it will
keep the heat from reaching the bricks.  It might also make a nice
"conversation piece" and break up a large expanse of brick.  You remember
that big brick area on the side of the garage at my house?  The three Rose
of Sharon Bushes have effectively broken that up and their presence reduces
the amount of heat the wall picks up.  Then in the fall when added heat in
that area is needed at night and the leaves have dropped, the brick provides
a nice little micro climate.

Do you have mostly Xeriscape plants in the bed along that wall?  Check out
this web sight: http://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/pubcd/B1073.htm  and the
High Country Garden's sight, too.  There are plants designed for Pam's type
of heat, that should take what that wall can dish out.

As for coreopsis, I have found them to be somewhat short lived perennials
here, except for my moonbeam coreopsis.  Despite the invasion of the Chinese
lanterns and gooseneck loosestrife (though it has taken ten years to do the
invading,) it comes back year after year.  I think I'll dig up a chunk this
spring and put some in a "roomier" location.  It is one I'd love to see
"take over" an area.

I figured our "clay" was similar, but perhaps not when it comes to bleeding
heart.  They are planted in "woodsy" soil in the mostly shade.  Mine are
thriving and I dearly love their spring appearances.  I'm so sorry they
haven't given you the same pleasure.  Do you use any lungworts?  I have
three varieties now and I dearly love the mottled leaves in the shade.
Every time I see a different variety for a good price, I snap it up!  Their
spring flowers are surprisingly beautiful as well.

Have you seen the newest of the coneflowers?  There are at least two
fragrant varieties and neither are "purple."  It might be something
different for you.  Some of the new coneflowers don't even look like
coneflowers with a much flatter flower face.  Some are much shorter than the
old standards.  It might be something to look into for the less shady and
heat prone areas.

I think you just need time to wander leisurely through a nursery or two.  I
know you would see the perfect things for your yard!  Now, how do we get you
leisure time?

Blessings,
Bonnie