Season update

Weather's balmy--highs in low 80s; lows in high 60s. We're way behind on rain thus far, but the monsoon season doesn't really start for another month. First crop of Barbados cherries are beginning to ripen [I had three big ones earlier today].

It may be due to a mild winter, but the black sapote tree [Diospyros digyna] is loaded with blooms. I mean thousands of them. Visually, the blooms are small and of no consequence--but it is amazing. The tree, with or without blooms, is one of the most handsome subtropical trees. I'll try to get a picture of it tomorrow.

Caladiums are up. The sweet Viburnum [V. odoratissimum] is getting ready to bloom. V. odo, as it's called in the trade, is definitely one of the "wet dog" species.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10