Re: Bromeliads

Because it stays so humid here most of the time, I was thinking of adding some orchid bark to the potting mix to help with drainage. I use Fafard, but the particular one I have is not as coarse as I'd like. What do you think? Do you discard the mother plant because it won't bloom again on that particular "part"? I have some keikis, but truthfully I discarded a few due to rot. One plant I just tossed out completely. Dry shade I can do. I can put them with the begonias.
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, May 12, 2006 11:49 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Bromeliads

Mine like it on the dry side, and are not particularly pot bound.
When they finish blooming, I wait for off shoots to appear, then
divide the plants, repotting the keikis and discarding the "mother
plant". I use a general purpose potting mix, however, that said, I
have had a bad experience with cut rate potting mix - found it mucky
and very slow to drain. Thank God I discovered the issue before I
bought more than two bags.

Cathy, west central IL, z5b