Re: Bromeliads

The only bromeliads that I know of that "like" shade are the terrestrial
bromeliads, Cryptanthus.  All other bromeliads do need bright light to at  least
part sun.  Bromeliads, especially Neoregelias, etc. need some  sunlight in
order to gain the beautiful colors.  Usually the rule of thumb  is the stiffer
the foliage, the more sun they need.  Hechtias and Dyckias  need full sun to do
well.  All have a tendency to rot if kept in too much  shade, and too much
water.  Most, except terrestrials (Cryptanthus, Dyckias  and Hechtias), do best
if potted in bark, or orchid mix, etc.  Something  with VERY good drainage.  It
sounds very much like the bromeliads you have  are rotting.  You might be
able to save a pup.  Helps to know what  type you have too....any clues?
Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

I have  inherited several bromeliads from the nursery I work for