Re: Re: Bromeliads

Well, no actually. I have No idea what they are. I'll see if I can find pictures to send you of the ones I have. THANKS for the info because I was about to do this all wrong.
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, May 13, 2006 8:54 PM
Subject: [CHAT] Re: Bromeliads

The only bromeliads that I know of that "like" shade are the terrestrial
bromeliads, Cryptanthus. All other bromeliads do need bright light to at least
part sun. Bromeliads, especially Neoregelias, etc. need some sunlight in
order to gain the beautiful colors. Usually the rule of thumb is the stiffer
the foliage, the more sun they need. Hechtias and Dyckias need full sun to do
well. All have a tendency to rot if kept in too much shade, and too much
water. Most, except terrestrials (Cryptanthus, Dyckias and Hechtias), do best
if potted in bark, or orchid mix, etc. Something with VERY good drainage. It
sounds very much like the bromeliads you have are rotting. You might be
able to save a pup. Helps to know what type you have too....any clues?
Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 5/13/2006 11:02:35 AM Central Standard Time,