Re: Re: Birthday Pam...now Plant sales

I know one time we had a butt kickin' storm going one - watches, warnings
etc.  And after checking the radar for twirlies and such, Pat & I headed
down to the nursery.  They laughed when they saw us coming.   Splashing in
through the parking lot wearing rain shoes and slickers.   Had the whole
place to ourselves, it was GREAT!   They even gave us an extra discount
because we bought so much stuff and they were so glad to see any customer in
the place.  They were bored silly until we got there.

On 5/16/06, TeichFlora@aol.com <TeichFlora@aol.com> wrote:
> I think plant folks come out to shop in all weather.  I remember a  freeze
> (only one that month) hitting during the MG fruit tree sale,
> several  years
> back.  Was our best sale ever.
> Also, the annual March Mart sale, biggest sale in Houston.....stormed
> several times, one time much of Houston was flooded....we went anyway
> (hour  drive)
> after the worst of it passed...thought we wer nuts, but when we got
> there  we
> heard that people stood in line for an hour before opening during the
> worst
> part of the storm.  It was so crowded....I could not believe it.
> A week ago, Sat. I helped at a friend's plant sale, it poured, but
> the  folks
> came anyway.
> Plants don't care if it rains, and gardeners are happy it's raining.
> Have heard about the floods and terrible rains in the NE.  My heart  goes
> out
> to those folks, endured flooding here on numerous occasions, it's
> never  fun.
> Most areas need the rain, but that's a bit much at one time.
> Noreen
> zone 9
> Texas Gulf Coast
> In a message dated 5/15/2006 11:02:21 PM Central Standard Time,
> gardenchat-owner@hort.net writes:
> It's  near impossible to plan, isn't it Ceres?  If I'd had my own plant
> sale
> one week later than I did I probably wouldn't have sold half as much as i
> did.  And if our MG sale had been this past Sat instead of next Sat
> -  -what
> a bummer that would be!  I'm hoping this rainy system will move  out in
> time
> for thesale Sat.  So much work goes into it and we don't  get raindates.

Pam Evans
Kemp TX
zone 8A