Re: Paulownia

Interesting huh Auralie? I was out walking this evening and thought I saw another one close to my house but upon inspection I realized it was a tung oil tree. So, Beaufort still only has one Paulownia that I know of.
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2006 6:51 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Paulownia

Once again it's the same old thing about invasive aliens - that
are not invasive everywhere.  I first discovered Paulownia about
45 years ago, soon after we moved to the area.  There was one
large old tree on the grounds of the old St. Peter's School, and
soon I discovered another by the old toll house on the Bear
Mountain Road that had originally been built as a toll road
(by Rockefellers?, Harrimans?, somebody like that).  I thought
they were beautiful exotics.  Then some 10 years ago when I
attended a National Garden Club Convention in Philadelphia,
I discovered Logan (!) square was planted with them, and they
were in full bloom.  Spectacular!  Now that I have just heard
that they are invasive, I have discovered two small ones
within a couple of miles of each other on a wooded stretch of
Route 9A out of Croton.  Now that's really invasive!
One of the original trees is gone, and I suspect the other is,
too, as the old school grounds are now a large housing
development.  I just haven't been up there to look in some
years.
Auralie

In a message dated 05/16/2006 3:51:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time,