Re: A lovely weekend

Cyndi, what a great place you have. I love your birdbath too. It is so different. I've been looking for one, but they all are so drab (as if the birds care) or SO ornate they make me sick. Right now I have a shallow 12 inch saucer sitting on top of a metal can for the birds. How tacky, but again, the birds don't care. LOL!

Sorry to hear about the veggies. I bet that's very aggravating.
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2006 12:42 PM
Subject: RE: [CHAT] A lovely weekend

It does look nice in spring, sometimes I just stand there gazing at it. I
haven't done very well in making it look as good during mid/late summer I'm
afraid. Of course the native garden isn't very malleable that way so I don't
bother much. In the ornamental garden, if I am meticulous about deadheading
then the coreopsis and gaillardia are very cheerful all summer, the roses do
bloom again but of course not as lush. My daylilies all seem to bloom at
once too; one of these years I'll have to see if I can buy different ones to
stagger the season. I think what I need is to expand my knowledge of what's
out there and will grow in this climate, I find myself looking at the same
things all the time.
I don't mind sharing the vegetable bounty either if they would leave some
for me. Other years we see a couple rabbits without too much problem, and
every few weeks we trap a gopher. But this year, wow. I certainly planted
more lettuce than we could eat but all of it is chewed down to nothing.
Every single soybean nipped off. How come they don't eat the weeds?! My
neighbor is trying the scare method - he's put in all these 3 ft stakes all
over his garden and tied plastic grocery bags to them, they flap in the
wind. I'll have to ask him if it's working. It's pretty ugly...but cheaper
than Reemay!
And just occurred to me that wild varmints are not my total problem, I had
better figure out soon how to keep the dogs away from the fruit trees or my
very tall labrador will pick off everything within reach like he did last
year.

Cyndi