Re: Paulownia, tung

There was a big push by USDA circa WWII to plant tung trees to lessen our dependence on that kind of foreign oil. Seems sort of quaint in retrospect.

On May 18, 2006, at 6:39 AM, Andrea Hodges wrote:

Not many, and just in really protected spots. I wonder if the gesture did pay off. They are very neat trees, and their flowers are so pretty.
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2006 9:45 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Paulownia

Are there many tung oil trees there now? When I was a child
in the Florida panhandle (we're talking dark ages now), a
prominent citizen of the town who was also a wealthy banker
planted the streets of the town with tung oil trees. He said it
would eventually provide a source of income and wealth for
the town. I haven't been in that town for more than 50 years,
but I somehow suspect that his philanthropic gesture has not
paid off.
Auralie

In a message dated 05/16/2006 8:23:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time,