RE: weeds, plants and the weekend

Of course I weeded. We cleaned the sheep pens, mulched more of the veggie
garden, and sold 3 lambs.
DH could have done with a little less work though. I noticed the other night
coming home that my roses on one side of the yard looked like they were past
their peak already - way too fast. So I checked in daylight and sure enough,
looks like one of the sprinkler lines had failed quite some time ago,
everything on that side was just really dry. I asked him to fix it. So he
fixed it, but in the process he stepped on the oakleaf hydrangea I just
bought mail-order and snapped it off 2 inches above ground.
While I was mourning the hydrangea I noticed a pyracantha had taken root
underneath this big escallonia shrub and grown up through it. So I started
pruning that back. DH mentions it would be better to dig out the pyracantha,
very true. I've been wanting to get rid of the escallonia for years - it
doesn't bloom anymore, too much shade, and it just acts as a trap for dead
sycamore leaves all year and generally looks messy. Which I said, and since
he's still feeling guilty about stepping on my expensive hydrangea he digs
out this 5x8 bush for me, which is a major job.
It's a truth at my house that whenever you dig a hole in any irrigated area
you'll hit a sprinkler pipe and break it. And he did, busted it good, and
that had to be fixed. At this point he's decided any further interaction
with me will just mean hard work so he goes off to mow. And when he's done,
trundling the turned-off mower back to the shed, he hits a sprinkler riser -
and breaks it off.
Well, so it goes. I was going to pick rose petals for jelly this weekend but
due to the lack of water the flowers dried so fast I don't have enough now.
My little hydrangea is gone (sniff). On the plus side, I have a bare area
where the escallonia was and can plant it with something nicer, once I
figure out what that will be. All the sprinklers work, for the moment. We
killed the last remaining gopher in the veggie garden and can take a
breather until new ones move in, but the squirrels and rabbits are still
around. The lambs brought enough to keep the rest of them in feed for some
weeks, so that was good.
Oh yes, and the weather! Completely overcast, not too cool, and no wind all
Sunday, it was a miracle. After all the griping I did this spring about no
sun it seems ungrateful of me to say it was nice, but it was.  Then evening
got real windy and sometime in the night we had a trace of rain.