From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Christopher P. Lindsey
Sent: Sunday, May 28, 2006 5:22 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] My Tulip Tree!!!

> Those who have had blooming tulip trees, do they put out any type of
> seed pod after bloom?  What should I expect?

Hi Bonnie,

   That's awesome about your tulip tree blooming!  For those who aren't
   familiar with the blooms, here's one:

      http://www.hort.net/gallery/view/mag/lirtu/

   The fruit aren't particularly exciting.  When they first form they
   look a little like okra:

      http://wp.hort.net/plant/lirtu50

   They eventually split open along the seams, releasing vertical seeds
   and leaving a vertical 'spike' that lasts through the winter.  It's
   not very noticeable unless you're looking for it or you've had a good
   snow that makes it stand out.

Chris