Re: Amazon lily NOW Other Flowers

What I found interesting about the state trees is that the EASTERN Redbud, Cercis canadensis, is the state tree of Oklahoma. It just struck me as a strange choice. However, I have several Cercis canadensis, some from TN stock and some from OK stock. The TN ones developed what, to me, is the typical redbud structure - sort of wiggly-oriental-bonsaishape in habit and not tall. But the OK ones got HUGE and were fairly straight and tall with only a bit of the wiggly-oriental-bonsaishape I'm used to. I eventually had to cut them down.

Patricia and Jesse, what do you think of your state tree?

neIN, Zone 5
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, May 29, 2006 9:17 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Amazon lily NOW Other Flowers

In a message dated 5/28/06 7:54:05 PM, zsanders@midsouth.rr.com writes:

The tulip poplar, however, is the
state tree of TN and is very prevalent in the local woods.

Zem, I do not know of another tulip tree in my area. I purchased my tree
after visiting the McCormick estate outside Chicago. On the south side of the
mansion long straight lines of trees grew. Each row a different variety with
one being the tulip tree. I viewed it in July so the blooms are a bonus.