RE: today

The tilled beds expose seeds to the light which makes them germinate.
That's why many gardeners/farmers are going to no-till...plus the fact that
tilling disrupts the soil ecology. Also, why many people advise that you
just cut stalks instead of pulling them out.   However, where you have
soils like clay, you have to mix in mulch to make them work.

Ah, wood floors...that is one of my next major desires.